SB Overseas asbl (BE) A Project of S | KBFUS Funds
Imagine having to leave everything behind, having your house destroyed and your city made uninhabitable. When the only option is to leave, the world is full of uncertainty. Especially for families, being forced to become a refugee brings a multitude of challenges, from legal questions to hungry kids to trying to maintain hope for the future. Life becomes uncertain, and opportunities that once seemed guaranteed — an education, a job, a safe home to return to — vanish.
Soutien Belge Overseas (SB Overseas) is an NGO (registered in Belgium) that works to support refugees, both in Belgium, as well as in Turkey and Lebanon. Founded in 2013, SB Overseas is a humanitarian organization focused on emergency aid, education, and empowerment. We work to ensure that refugees have the chance to dream and reach for the future that they deserve.
SB Overseas runs several projects in Lebanon: catch-up schools, women's centers, and an international volunteering program.
- Catch-up schools provide 500 Syrian students who have missed parts of their education as a result of the conflict to "catch-up," in order to re-enter the public school system at the correct level.
- Our women's centers teach literacy, numeracy, and professional skills to women, so that they can support themselves and their families.
- International volunteers come for two months to teach English to both students and adults.
SB Overseas is active in providing punctual support to a women's center in Kilis, where there is a large community of refugees. With similar activities as in Lebanon, this center can support the education of around 100 women at a time. We are aiming to expand our presence at this center in the future, ideally to increase our involvement at the women's center, and to include education and catch-up schools.
In Belgium, SB Overseas runs various projects, including the Young Belgians, SB Weekend, and SB Campaign.
- Young Belgians program empowers marginalized Belgian youth through community service projects, events, and even international travel.
- SB Weekends connects volunteers with unaccompanied youth living in government centers, providing psycho-social support through teambuilding games, art therapy, and sports.
- SB Campaign aims to collect funds and materials to support our projects in Lebanon and Turkey, to fulfill the needs of the refugees living there, and to promote global solidarity and awareness amongst those living in Belgium.
Alternative ways to give:
For gifts by check: Write your check to KBFUS, write "SB Overseas" in the memo section of the check, and send it to KBFUS, 10 Rockefeller Plaza, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10020.
Gifts by wire transfer or to contribute other types of property: Email KBFUS at: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (212) 713 7660.